guilt and moral inventories

Thursday, November 15, 2012

I was not looking forward to writing this post. Today, I relapsed on my plan. It was going well until I ended up going to a restaurant in the afternoon. I had a rewards card and part of that rewards card, was a free pastry item since my birthday just recently passed. It was free, and the carrot cupcake was calling out to me. I have since moved on and below I share some of that might have contributed to it.

Other than that, I was on plan. However, I did not start the morning as great as I wanted it to be. I read through Step 4 - which was about creating a moral inventory about our lives. As I started the chapter, I thought - "well, I am generally an okay person, no major crimes or anything."

Then the questions towards the end of the chapter. They were damning. To recount all the ways I have hurt myself and hurt others really broke me. It colored the rest of my day. I did not interact with anyone and even canceled a scheduled dinner appointment because of the shame of my moral failures. I thought I had gone over them. I wish I could rid myself of this burden, this guilt.

Update: Started on my moral inventory. A guide can be found in this pdf newsletter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.