Helpful tip: Smelly Water Bottles

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

So today I finally figured out how to get rid of the stench in my water bottles after long periods of use. Quite a revelation. Many a Nalgene has been discarded because of the mildewy smell I get from old plastic bottles.

All you need is a little bleach. I currently use a 23.7 fl oz Smart water bottle - the one with the handy nozzle (prevents choking in stop-and-go traffic). I would say I probably added less than a fluid ounce of bleach to the bottle and filled it up with regular tap water.  I also had a separate bowl for washing the nozzle that had a dash of bleach. I went showered and got ready so I let it stand for about 30 minutes. I then rinsed the bottle ten times (swished with tap water for ten seconds - warm water since it's cold where I am). And poof - no mildewy smell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.